One Small Change update


Happy Earth Day! I want to tell you about my One Small Change progress but first, a word about this poor little old lady... Erma.

Erma did something to herself today (I think she caught her claw on the rug and tried to yank herself free) and it really hurt her arthritic hips and joints. She was practically dragging her hind legs behind her, it hurt so much to walk. She's good at communicating with me, and she let me know immediately by crouching down right in front of me and looking up with big, scared eyes. I took her to the vet, unsure of what I would hear (I thought it was just arthritis but hind leg issues can indicate other problems). It turns out it is her achy joints. The doctor took some blood (to provide info for a possible teeth cleaning and acupuncture treatments), gave her a shot to numb the pain, and sent me home with anti-inflammatory drops to use for a few weeks. She's already on Duralactin, a milk protein pill designed to reduce inflammation, and hopefully these drops will help her get back to a place of comfort. Acupuncture will help her out too. Ahhh... the things I do for my cats!

On to One Small Change:
I've been meaning to tell you how the no-shampoo routine is working out, so here it is. I've tried a bunch of different ways of getting my hair clean, including just water; baking soda; vinegar; castille soap; and using a tiny amount of the natural shampoo I was using before.

I've decided that I don't like how greasy my roots feel but I do love the way the ends feels when the grease travels down the strands of hair and settles in. So I've adopted a routine that works for both my roots and my ends and I use significantly fewer plastic bottles and natural resources each time I shower: I use a dime sized amount of shampoo and I only wash the roots. I have a lot of hair, so the dime sized amount doesn't get all the roots, so I wash different roots each time I shower. It works for me. I like this.

Updates on my other changes:
Coffee: I'm done with it, and I don't even miss it. I might make a cup of herbal or green tea in the morning but I rarely finish the whole thing. Making and drinking coffee is a routine I cut out and don't need to revisit.


Cat Litter: We're still going strong with Swheat Scoop!

Eating Less: We're working on it :)

Washable hankies: We love them! They are so much more absorbent than paper tissues and so soft. I made them out of flannel and they're a keeper.

Composting: Our pile in the woods is working out well.

This was a wonderful challenge and I thank Suzy at Hip Mountain Mama for getting me energized!!!

1 comments:

Hip Mountain Mama Says:

Thanks for the wrap up! I am glad you found a shampoo routine that works..I have been thinking of trying baking soda...this may be my May change!

Congratulations on all your changes!
We are keeping the blog active year round, so stop by for blog posts offering support for those who wish to continue the challenge, ideas, inspiration, and guest blog posts. If you would like to be a guest blogger, we would love to have you (email me at suzy@hipmountainmama.com)
Thanks and congrats on all your efforts!
~Suzy

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!