Green Summer

Hi there,
I'm back (again). Summer is in full swing around here!

Suzy at Hip Mountain Mama has challenged me once again to assess what I'm doing this summer that is "green" and to write it all down. What am I doing that's green? Of course, the same old stuff - eating local produce, trekking to a local farm once a week to pick up our share of organic veggies, bringing my own bags to the store, using the rain barrel and the day's kiddie pool water to hydrate the garden when I can, using the clothesline instead of the dryer on days when it doesn't rain, harvesting and drying my own herbs, making my own Earth-friendly cleaning products and laundry detergent, limiting my driving where possible, composting, limiting air conditioner use...

I've noticed a change in my mindset these past few months that has pushed me to do more. For one thing, ever since the destruction of the Gulf of Mexico began when the BP oil well ruptured in April, I've become much more aware of my consumption of oil. Did you know that Elmer's glue, scotch tape and Crayola crayons are made from oil? I never gave much thought to it until now. I buy those products at the end of each summer at a ridiculously low price and my children use them for art projects. Do I want to continue to purchase products that are made from oil? No. There are some parts of my life where I don't feel I have much of a choice right now (okay, okay, I do have a choice - I don't have to drive a car, I don't have to live in this home filled with oil-derived products. But right now I do live this life. Don't think I haven't ruled out alternative lifestyles for the future though!). There are other parts of my life that are much more flexible, and where there are alternatives, I have decided that I will seek them out. Art supplies are now one of those areas. Why do I want my children to make art using oil, smearing dead dinosaurs all over their paper and thinking it's beautiful?

Another thing I've become much more aware of is packaging. Most of the packaging for food and goods makes heavy use of plastic. When I can, I opt to not purchase the plastic-encased product, and I make an effort to frequent stores where I can buy food in bulk.

I put a lot of emphasis on food, don't I? I do that because food is a big part of our everyday life, and also because food is a big part of the cause of climate change. Everyone eats, and each time we make a meal, we vote about the kind of world we want. Do we want to poison the air, the water, the soil and our bodies by choosing CAFO meat or conventionally-grown produce? Or do we want to heal the Earth by choosing to eat food that is grown in a more natural way?

You know what's interesting about all of this? I feel like no matter what steps I take and how much I do, there's always so much more to be done. So many more changes to make. When I start to feel as if the mountain before me is insurmountable, I remember these words from Margaret Mead: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

2 comments:

Hip Mountain Mama Says:

Thanks for the entry...this is great! Voting starts tomorrow!
Suzy

Hip Mountain Mama Says:

Hey!
The voting has begun for Hip Mountain Mama's Anniversary Contest. Be sure to tell you family and friends to stop by and vote! Voting ends a midnight on July 31 and the winners will be announced on August 1st. The person with the most votes will win $200.00 at Hip Mountain Mama and the person with the second most votes will win $50.00 at Hip Mountain Mama.

Thanks for your participation...it was great to read about what you are doing to live a greener lifestyle this summer.
Good luck! http://www.hipmountainmamablog.com/2010/07/anniversary-contest-voting_12.html

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!