Fall is here, isn't it?


Our table "centerpiece" is decidedly autumnal. Fall is here, isn't it?

One of the website projects I worked on in the past few months was a Wordpress site for Angelini Wine, a wine importer. Wordpress is a blogging site, similar to blogger, where this blog is hosted. Earlier today I was cruising around the internet and it occurred to me that there seems to be an endless number of sites with free Wordpress blog templates and surely there must be a similar number where I can find a new blogger template, right? I'm in the mood for a change!

I googled a bit and found Aqua Poppy Designs and picked the template I put up today. It's colorful and full of my favorite colors, and I like it, at least for this week!


As I mentioned yesterday, I'm starting to pay attention to the mind-body connection and how my neck and shoulders feel throughout the day. I'm super surprised to find that my neck has almost no pain in it while I'm at home puttering around, playing with 'A' and 'H' or soaking up the atmosphere outdoors. But when I head out to interact with the rest of the world - at the grocery store, or at any one of the number of activities the girls are enrolled in - the pain comes right back. Interesting, huh? Yes, I think so too. Part of it, I'm sure, is that I have natural lighting and a homey environment at home, as opposed to the artifical lighting and overstimulation I find many other places.

I think I'm extra sensitive during this time of recovery.

This afternoon I'll be cooking (green tomato pie, soup for dinner, granola for breakfast); cleaning up (the kitchen, the laundry); sorting through (stuff on my desk, toys that are all over the house); packing away (summer clothing); and refining the art of negotiation (with the girls, who want to keep toys out all over the house).

I've never made Green Tomato Pie before (I've never made anything with green tomatoes at all). This recipe came from Justine Denison. I have no idea how it tastes, and if it's supposed to be a savory or sweet treat. I'm thinking savory. But it has all that sugar. Sweet? Here is the recipe:

Green Tomato Pie

Crust:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening (recommended: Crisco)

1/2 cup cold water

Sift together flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder into a bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture with a pastry cutter or fork until mixture resembles cornmeal. Stir in 1/4 cup of the cold water, then add remaining

1/4 cup and mix until combined. Cover dough and allow it to rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Divide dough in half. Place on lightly floured board and pat out.

Using a rolling pin, roll out 1 piece of dough to the size of a 9-inch pie pan. Put crust in pan and trim off excess dough around the edge. Roll out second ball of dough for pie crust top.


Filling:

1 1/4 cups sugar

2 tablespoons tapioca flour

1 teaspoon grated orange zest

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1/4 cup raisins

5 green tomatoes, or enough to fill pie crust, thinly sliced

Glaze: 1 slightly beaten egg white and Sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix sugar, tapioca, zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and raisins in a large bowl. Lay tomato slices in pie crust.

Sprinkle mixture over tomatoes. (Overlapping will occur but tomatoes will shrink in size when baked.) Gently lay top pie crust over filling, tucking in the extra crust around the edges. Pinch dough with fingers or butter knife to seal edges. Using a knife, make 4 to 6 slits in top of crust to allow steam to escape. Brush top with egg white and sprinkle with a little sugar to give your crust a shine.

Place pie in the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F. and continue to bake for 20 more minutes.

Cool on wire rack.

1 comments:

Erika Says:

That blog you made looks so cool! I think a girl on my derby team is making a new one for me soon. I really need a change. I search all the time but nothing is quite right.

You have great handwriting by the way!

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!